Smoking Cessation/Tobacco Use Disorder
What is Tobacco Use Disorder?
Tobacco Use Disorder is commonly used for physical and psychological nicotine dependence. It refers to a disorder of chronic, relapsing tobacco use from both smoke and smokeless tobacco.
Many people suffer from dependence on tobacco products whether it includes cigarettes, pipes, hookah, or chewing tobacco. While some people are able to quit on their own, others find it difficult due to the highly addictive nature of tobacco itself or certain stressors in their life that may challenge them.
If you have tried to quit but started again, you are not alone and there is hope. If you are interested in sharing your story and learning about how to take the first steps towards being tobacco-free, it is important to see a provider who can assess you.
What can you do?
Knowledge is power. Learn and take action within your circle of power. The following links provide more information about this disorder
Video: How to Stop Smoking: https://youtu.be/8irqMxDI_sA
- Quit Plan: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/quit-smoking/in-depth/smoking-cessation/art-20045441
- Plan to Quit Cards: https://www.quitterscircle.com/sites/default/files/PlanToQuitCards.pdf
- Washington State Tobacco Quitline: https://apicat.org/resources/cessation/washington-state-tobacco-quitline/
- Quit Smoking: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smoking/index.htm
You Can Stop Smoking’: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1755633.You_Can_Stop_Smoking
How to get care?
Providers at Shifa who could help: List of Providers who like to focus on smoking cessation
- Rozina Lakhani MD MPH, Psychiatrist
- Suzy Dalgarn ARNP
- Nancy Turner ARNP
- Susan Clark MD, Psychiatrist
- Ken Dyer DNP
- Jeff Berger MD, Psychiatrist
- Kateryna Kuzmychova ARNP
- Kyle Ozechowski PsyD/LMHC
- Jane Small ARNP
- Dennis Gaither MD-Psychiatrist
- Eric Larsen ARNP
Providers in the area- link to a directory( psychology today)
Silver Lake, Everrett, WA:
Mt. Vernon, WA:
Organization for further support
- NAMI National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness
- American Lung Association: https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking
- National Institutes of Health: https://smokefree.gov/